Tropical Pumpkin Pie
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl with wire whisk. Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture. Gradually stir in milk until blended. Stir in coconut. Pour into pastry shell.
3. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake 45 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
4. Meanwhile, combine pineapple and cornstarch in small microwaveable bowl or measuring cup until well blended. Microwave on High 1 minute, or until thickened and bubbly, stirring after 30 seconds. Cover; refrigerate while pie is cooling.
5. Spoon evenly onto center of cooled pie, leaving some pumpkin around edge visible. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
6. Cut pie into 8 slices. Top each slice with a serving of whipped topping, just before serving.
Cajun Rub for Thanksgiving Turkey
1. Mix spices with Canola oil.
2. Rub into the turkey skin.
3. Roast turkey according to Butterball guidelines.
Optional Stuffing: Sauté 1 chopped onion, 2 stalks chopped celery and 1 chopped green pepper in 3 tbs. Canola oil. Add 1½ cups cubed bread. Sprinkle with ½ tsp. each ground oregano, paprika, thyme and pepper.
Roast Turkey with Spicy Rub
1. Combine all ingredients except turkey and oil. Blend well. (May be prepared 2 to 3 days in advance. Store mixture in an airtight container at room temperature.)
2. Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; refrigerate for another use or discard. Turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Return legs to the tucked position, if untucked. Place turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in shallow roasting pan.
3. Brush outside of the turkey with half of the oil; rub outside and inside cavity with spice mixture. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 325°F.
5. Brush spiced turkey with remaining 3 tbsp. of oil. Bake approximately 3 hours*, or until meat thermometer reaches 180°F when inserted in the thickest part of the thigh. Remove turkey from oven.
6. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.