Cajun Rub for Thanksgiving Turkey
1. Mix spices with Canola oil.
2. Rub into the turkey skin.
3. Roast turkey according to Butterball guidelines.
Optional Stuffing: Sauté 1 chopped onion, 2 stalks chopped celery and 1 chopped green pepper in 3 tbs. Canola oil. Add 1½ cups cubed bread. Sprinkle with ½ tsp. each ground oregano, paprika, thyme and pepper.
Mexicali Turkey Wraps
1. For each wrap, spread one tortilla with 2 tbsp. guacamole to within ¼ inch of edge. Cover with ¼ cup lettuce, pressing lightly into guacamole.
2. Top with ¼ cup turkey and 1 tbsp. each beans, corn, salsa and cheese.
3. Roll up tortilla tightly. Cut diagonally in half to serve.
Turkey with Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Crumble chorizo into large skillet. Cook on medium heat 5 minutes, or until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Drain; set aside. Wipe skillet with paper towels to remove grease.
3. Melt butter in same skillet on medium heat. Add onion, celery,
red pepper and jalapeno pepper. Cook and stir 7 minutes, or
until vegetables are tender. Stir in sage and thyme. Set aside.
4. Combine dry stuffing, chorizo and vegetable mixture in large bowl. Stir in broth.
5. Combine chili powder, garlic salt, oregano and black pepper.
6. Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey. Refrigerate for another use or discard.
7. Drain juices from turkey. Pat turkey dry with paper towels.
8. Fill neck cavity with part of the stuffing. Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey. Fill body cavity with stuffing.
9. Place turkey, breast up, on flat roasting rack in shallow roasting pan. Spray turkey with cooking spray. Sprinkle with seasoning mixture. Place small pieces of aluminum foil over
skin of neck cavity and over stuffing at body cavity opening to
prevent over browning during baking.
10. Bake 4 hours, or until meat thermometer reaches 165°F when
inserted in center of stuffing and 180°F when inserted in
thickest part of thigh. Cover breast and tops of drumsticks with aluminum foil after 2-1/2 hours to prevent over cooking of breast.