Quickie Sweet Potatoes
Scrub the sweet potatoes and prick them with a fork.
Microwave on high for approx. 10-12 minutes, depending on their size.
Once they are soft, let them rest in a bowl for 5 minutes.
This little sweet potato rest time makes it easy to skin them, which just happens to be the next step. Skin sweet potatoes.
Mash the sweet potatoes together with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of the orange juice concentrate.
For a more intense orange flavour, add one more tablespoon (15 mL) of concentrate.
Each serving contains – 94 Calories, 1.5 g protein, 0.2 g fat, 1.4 g fibre, 10 mg sodium,
and 22 g carbohydrate.
Sautéed Leek, Giblet and Whole Grain Dressing
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2. Place neck, heart, gizzard, water to cover, salt and pepper to taste in large saucepan. (Reserve the liver for later use or discard.) Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover.
3. Simmer 1-1/2 hours, adding the liver, if desired, for the last 30 minutes of the cooking time. Strain stock; cover and refrigerate until ready to use in stuffing mixture. Remove meat from the neck; discard bones. Finely chop neck meat, heart, gizzard and liver, if using; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Cook bacon in a large saucepan on medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving bacon fat in pan. Drain bacon on paper toweling. Add butter to bacon fat.
5. Sauté leek, celery root and parsnips in bacon-butter mixture until tender-crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes.
6. Combine cooked vegetables, breads, bulgur wheat, cooked giblets, parsley, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and cooked bacon in large bowl. Gradually pour in chicken broth, mixing until all ingredients are moist.
7 Place mixture in well greased 4-quart baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 °.
Beet, Spinach And Apple Salad With Pomegranate Vinaigrette
1. For dressing, place all ingredients except oil in blender container; cover. Blend well. With blender running, gradually add oil through opening at top of blender, blending well after each addition. Pour dressing into storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. For salad, combine all ingredients, except almonds. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Whisk dressing and toss with salad mixture just before serving. Sprinkle almonds on top.